A valid Indiana Substitute Permit is required to substitute in teaching positions in the state of Indiana.
Individuals applying for Substitute Permits must:
- Hold a High School Diploma or High School Equivalency Certificate
- Be 18 years of age or older
Please follow these instructions to obtain your substitute permit.
- Login to your LVIS account. If you don’t yet have a profile with LVIS, click here to create a profile and then proceed.
- Click the red “I want to be an Indiana” box.
- Click Substitute Permits.
- Click Next.
- Update your Employer by clicking “Update”.
- Using the dropdown, select the school corporation where you will be substitute teaching.
- Click “Submit Employer”.
- Click “Return to Application”. Your employer should now be listed. Click “Next”.
- Answer the questions – if requested, upload required documentation and provide description. Click “Next”.
- No further documentation is required – click “Next”.
- If you have everything completed, you will be able to click “Submit Application”. Any items that are incomplete will be marked in RED – please complete these items and then you will be able to click “Submit Application”.
- Select “Click here to pay for all pending applications”.
- Mark the box under “Pay?”.
- Fill out the billing information.
- Click “Review Summary”.
- Check the box next to the Refund Policy.
- Click “Submit”.
Please email ESS at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have. We are happy to help however we can!